Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Revolutionary Road

A few weeks ago I was waiting in line at the post office to buy stamps for my stupid internship when I noticed lying face down on a counter a beat-to-hell paperback book. The spine read "Revolutionary Road Richard Yates" and the back cover brandished adoring quotes by two heavyweights of 20th century letters, Kurt Vonnegut and Tennessee Williams. The title I recognized, having of course seen the posters for the film adaptation. The movie looks kind of weird though, seeming to ask us to believe that instead of dying in the freezing waters of the Atlantic Jack Dawson moved to New York, eloped with Rose, got her pregnant and then asked his friend the "Unsinkable" Molly Brown to help them buy a house in Connecticut. It almost sounds like that movie The Fountain right? I don't know, I never saw it. Anyway, I slipped the novel into my pocket that afternoon at the post office and last night, sitting in the glow of Luke's painting, I finally finished reading it. It's first rate domestic drama. I shant forget it anytime soon and recommend it wholeheartedly to all of you. If you must see the film, then you must, just be forewarned that Jack and Rose have changed their names to Frank and April.

No comments: