Monday, December 15, 2008

The Treasure Chest

I've had a problem recently where I spend too much money on records. I even made a rule that I'm not allowed to collect them anymore, I can only buy new releases that I've been anticipating for more than a week. This rule is only in effect until I get a job that actually involves making money on a regular basis. I've been pretty good about it until today when temptation decided to increase exponentially.

I was walking past a video store in Greenpoint, I think it's called Video Noir, when I noticed a copy of Kraftwerk's self titled album sitting in the window. I had never been in this store before but the Kraftwerk album caught my attention. I went in to look at it when suddenly I realized that I was standing in front of a wall comprised entirely of albums for sale by Can, Harmonia, Cluster, Kraftwerk, Neu! and many many more. If you don't know these bands it doesn't matter, I will explain it like this:

I'm assuming everyone has something that they spend a lot of time looking at online or in person but only rarely is this thing purchased. Maybe "looking," is the wrong word, it's almost more of an infatuated gaze. Incredibly interested, but still keeping calm.

With the utmost precision one surfs eBay only to discover that the object they dream of is much closer at hand than expected. It will not take a tour of 100 garage sales and thrift stores hoping for a mis-marked price tag placed by some ignorant shopkeep or mother who didn't realize the treasures her child was in possession of. The pictures displayed are small and taken from that stupid-ass high angle existing somewhere between the front and top of the item. It never shows the desired detail, yet somehow one knows exactly what it would look like in a room, on a shelf, on a body, or in a box with a fox.At least, this used to be the case. For me and recordings of German music from the 1960's and 70's the fantasy resides only four blocks away. Needless to say I purchased something. If you wanna hear it click here ( "download this file" -> "skip ad" it will start downloading - be familiar with how to decompress a .rar file).

No comments: