It's been quite an exciting week since I returned last Wednesday. Here is a day for day summary of what has happened:
Wednesday: Got back from the airport around 6:00 PM. Received a call from Eamon in regards to a Patrick Cleandenim show that was happening at midnight. People came over until 10:00, we listened to music, had some drinks and then went to the show. It was a blast. The next day I woke up with the fear that I had embarrassed myself on the dance floor.
Thursday: Went to a reception for Vito Acconci at the David Beitzel Gallery. At least I think it was a reception, there weren't any actual pieces there, just personal documents from when he did his three "classic" performances (re: Seedbed). The documents were compelling. He wrote at length about becoming a part of space (interior space, not astronomical space) and how to do so effectively. The gathering was small and intimate. Acconci talked for an hour to a group of 20 or 30 people, mostly about his transition to architecture. After he spoke the owner of the gallery gave him a Seedbed cake in honor of his upcoming birthday. The cake had a special cream filling. Note to self: remember to dress nice when attending functions, a stained t-shirt and baggy Dockers will not do.
Friday: Helped shoot an interview with Calvin Trillin. It was the first of many interviews for a documentary about parking in New York. I don't really know any more details on the movie yet, I think it will be pretty funny. I met the producer, Roger, who was extremely friendly. It was his first time interviewing someone on camera and he was a little nervous. Calvin Trillin apparently wrote the first novel on the subject of parking. I am not very familiar with his writing but he was incredibly funny and interesting during the interview so I think I'm gonna try to read some of his work.
Saturday: Tried to see Gran Torino, it was sold out. Settled for Marley and Me. Left after 20 minutes and got a refund. Didn't even get to see Marley do naughty things, just Aniston and Wilson be really supportive of each other. Met up with Alexa, Andy, Dan, Eamon, Molly, and Rachel to see the "new" Godard movie, Made in USA. I say "new" because it was made in 1966 but was never actually released until sometime last week! Previously it had only been accessible on bootleg VHS tapes at a very poor quality. I didn't think the movie was very good. The color themes were too in my face (nothing says French communist like red, white, blue, and yellow painted on every fucking wall or building) and Godard's "subversive" tactics were mostly annoying. The woman behind me requested that I slouch for the entire film because she couldn't read the subtitles.
Sunday: Went to my friend Woody's house for a dinner party. Spent at least an hour drinking beer and throwing baseball caps at a ceiling fan. This game is played often in Woody's apartment, he has a collection of hats specifically for this purpose. It's called "The Hat Game."
Monday: Went to a screening/reception with Dan for a documentary called Crawford. It's a good movie, check it out if you get a chance. Afterwards Dan and I went to Corner Bistro with my friend Taylor and some others. Delicious burgers.
Tuesday: Saw Predator Vision play. It was a pretty sick set. A single 20 minute jam filled with psychedelic guitar effects. Here is a song of theirs you can listen to if you're interested, it's not the song they played, but it's not bad: This City's A Jungle.
If you read all this... Thanks! Thanks? This week: Northampton road trip with my friend Daren, editing special features for a Rachel Carson DVD, and the O'Bama inauguration.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment